Lately, there are two interior designs that are being used by residential owners, namely Scandinavian and minimalist designs. At first glance, both of them have a similar appearance. In fact, the emergence of these two designs also refers to the same goal, namely to present a simple, broad, and neat impression in a space that is not too wide. But are they really the same?
Between minimalist interior design and Scandinavian interior design, they both use minimal decorations so as not to overload space capacity. But the two also have differences. Let’s find out the reviews here.
Scandinavian Interior Design
Scandinavian interior design, which is also known as the Nordic interior style, tends to use natural materials, chooses pale colors, and has a minimalist form in the open interior. Building and design concepts make the most of lighting from the sun.
The goal is to make the building area feel cool and comfortable. This design concept also tends to use wood materials such as white wooden huts with color choices and works that are more monochromatic. Scandinavia is more displaying a minimalist and simple impression, but very functional.
The key to Scandinavian design is to take advantage of the sunlight that blends in with a cool area in the house. According to historical records, this design originated from the Nordic-Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Danish, and Norwegian, circa 1950.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Scandinavian Design
For those of you who like this concept, it’s not wrong to know some of the advantages and disadvantages that can be taken into consideration if you want to apply a Scandinavian design.
- The furniture applied in this concept dwelling has a slimmer shape and can be adjusted according to the function needs.
- The Scandinavian design prioritizes the choice of natural colors such as colors from nature, namely wood brown, beige or floral colors.
- This model can be formed with many decorations such as gardens, small ponds, or other things that are tailored to the building idea.
- The Scandinavian concept pays close attention to environmental factors and also the preservation of nature. Therefore, in making a residence always consider the elements of natural hospitality as well as sunlight lighting.
- The Scandinavian concept has the concept of providing comfort in being mobile in the room, especially for very active children.
- Scandinavian is also very impressed with the concept of liking natural scenery, as evidenced by the many designs that show the scenery outside the house.
- You can’t put in a lot of furniture or household, because the room is too narrow and will seem full if there is too much furniture.
- The choice of floor, wall, and ceiling color cannot collide with the general color of the building. This will make the occupancy narrow and short.
- In the form of residential lighting through the window, the ventilation could not be greater. Because the building will appear to be less attractive and not in accordance with the Scandinavian concept.
- If a house with this concept is difficult to design, it exceeds the building area.
- Buildings will just seem like they are if they can’t be made with as attractive a concept as possible.
- Housing will not feel comfortable if the building is erected in an arbitrary form.
- The house will be difficult to add to the side and rear position, it can only be built or added in the upper position.
Minimalist Interior Design
Apart from Scandinavian design, there are minimalist interior designs that are also quite popular. This design is considered to represent the owner’s enthusiasm and modern life and lacks extravagant decorations.
Minimalist interior design is usually used in an open space, generally, the colors used are white and black. Minimalist style tends to be influenced by traditional style designs such as Japanese characteristics, especially the concept of the clean line and the open flow throughout the house.
This building style is suitable for those of you who like white and black lines, with limited space but can still be interesting.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Minimalist Design
For those of you who like a minimalist interior design style, of course, there are advantages and disadvantages. The following are among them.
- It doesn’t cost a lot.
- You find it easier to organize your space because minimalist dwellings are easier to arrange.
- The home atmosphere is more comfortable with simple design choices. With minimalist occupancy, it also saves a smaller collection of furniture and is much more economical.
- Maintenance in the house is easy to clean because the building area is not large and organized.
- A charming design will look more elegant and beautiful home.
- The minimalist concept is suitable for small land areas.
- Maintenance outside the building is more efficient and cheaper.
- Construction works faster and easier.
- It is difficult to form a more luxurious design
- The style must adjust to the land area, so it must be smart to sort and measure the space according to the land area.
- If you use the wrong construction services, the shape of the house will look like it is finished.
- The minimalist house seems empty, without having an implied meaning in the design. Only function as a building, and only strength.
- Building trends will change every era, so the minimalist concept will change even more.
Differences in Scandinavian and Minimalist design
One room can be designed in a Scandinavian and minimalist style at the same time. The difference between the two will be obvious in the materials used. Scandinavian designs usually tend to use organic materials, for example, hemp rugs, wicker baskets, and curved wooden chairs. Meanwhile, minimalist designs tend to combine chrome or rust-resistant plastic with varnished plastic.